Monday, April 27, 2009

REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT


As I was driving in to work this morning, the president was speaking at the National Academy of Sciences Annual Meeting and it was being carried live on the radio. My commute is thankfully short so I only heard a portion of his speech, but what I heard was very troubling. Among other things he said:

"Today, of course, we face more complex challenges than we have ever faced before: a medical system that holds the promise of unlocking new cures and treatments -- attached to a health care system that holds the potential for bankruptcy to families and businesses; a system of energy that powers our economy, but simultaneously endangers our planet;" (You can read all of his speech at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-at-the-National-Academy-of-Sciences-Annual-Meeting/)

What this, along with his other speeches and the bills currently in congress, tells me is that this president has set his sights on not only nationalizing (and thereby ruining) our health care system, but also our whole energy industry. I personally only work in the electricity industry, but I’m sure that engineers in the oil and gas industries heard the same thing I did. I’ve got to say that, after more than a decade of working in the power industry overseas and in many countries with nationalized power companies (see the attached photo of the government power system in the DR), if the government takes over the energy industry we’ll learn what it’s like to do without – the same as they do in those distant third-world countries. No government on Earth has ever yet run a successful healthcare system, energy system, or any industry for that matter (check out the former Soviet Union.) I have to wonder, how far are we going to let this go? Beyond the point of no return?

No comments: